MIUN data sessions
|Dates||2021/09/30 - 2021/01/27|
|Final version due|
|Tweet||MIUN data sessions is a new (online) forum to bring social interaction researchers together to work on work-in-progress video recorded data sets brought by guest presenters. Contact Alia Amir (https://www.miun.se/en/personnel/aliaamir/) to request a slot & for info|
|Export for iCalendar|
MUIN data sessions:
MIUN data sessions is a forum to bring social interaction researchers together to work on work-in-progress video recorded data sets brought by guest presenters.
The purpose of these data sessions is to create a space for social interaction researchers to collaboratively work on data in order to understand the social actions as they unfold in everyday lives. In addition, these data sessions aim to strengthen the teacher education and language teaching programs, and, in particular, English language teaching (ELT) and classroom interaction research at the Mid Sweden University. Besides data sets on social interaction, the organizers of the data seminar therefore welcome naturally-occurring classroom data and especially with a focus on teacher-student and ELT classroom interaction.
The following research questions (but not limited to) will be focused:
- What are the findings from classroom interaction research that can be utilised to improve university teaching and learning?
- What are the cutting edge research results from conversation analysis that can pinpoint good teaching practices?
- Concerning methodological frameworks, the data seminar is open to any methodological approach relevant to social interaction. However, the seminar organizers have expertise on Conversation Analysis and therefore the data sessions will highlight naturally-occurring audio and video data, verbal and multimodal aspects of human interaction (e.g., gestures, body movements, body configurations), and fine-grained, qualitative, micro analysis.
Social interaction researchers employ robust methodology which provides authentic information about the audio and video data as and how it happens by focusing on both verbal and multimodal aspects of human interaction e.g. gestures, body movements, body configurations etc. Therefore, multimodal analysis will be employed due to the nature of the audio and video data under study which requires a qualitative approach providing fine-grained analysis.
Our research expertise
- Classroom interaction
- English language teaching
- English teacher education
- English language policy
- Applied Linguistics
Seminars on Social Interaction
Department of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSV) https://www.miun.se/en/meet-mid-sweden-university/Organisation/departments/department-of-humanities-and-social-sciences/
- 30 September, 2021, Rizwan-ul Huq, Mid-Sweden University
- 28 October, 2021, Ali Ghamdi, Newcastle University
- 25 November, 2021, Suant Jane Sezgin of Sabancı University (Turkey)
- 16 December, 2021, Alia Amir
- 27 January, 2021, Nigel Musk, Elizabeth Stokoe, Olcay Sert
Time All seminars will be held via Zoom.
16:00 (Sweden) 15:00 (UK)
- ALIA AMIR, Mid Sweden University
- CIHAT ATAR, Sakarya University
- SABRIA SALAMA JAWHAR, KSAU-HS
- RIZWAN-UL HUQ, Linköping University
To request for slot, or for more information, please contact
- Alia Amir - https://www.miun.se/en/personnel/aliaamir/
- Assistant Professor in English Linguistics
- Department of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSV)
- Mid Sweden University