IDS Lecture series Action formation and Action Ascription 2021
|Dates||2021/06/21 - 2021/10/11|
|Final version due|
|Tweet||IDS Mannheim. Lecture series on Action Formation and Action Ascription: The talks in this series address one of the main questions in the social sciences, i.e. ”how people grasp the subjective meanings of each others’ actions” 21 June-11 October 2021|
|Export for iCalendar|
IDS Lecture series Action formation and Action Ascription 2021:
Lecture series on Action Formation and Action Ascription
The talks in this series address one of the main questions in the social sciences, i.e. ”how people grasp the subjective meanings of each others’ actions” (Heritage, 1984: 57; Weber 1922/1978; Parsons 1937; Garfinkel 1967; Goffman 1971; Schütz/Luckmann 1973). Previous conversation analytic research on actions in social interaction has explored action formation, i.e. which contextual factors are relevant for choosing a specific format for doing requesting, questioning, assessing, apologizing etc. Only in the last decade scholars have turned their attention to action ascription as a fundamental problem for participants (Heritage 2012a,b; Levinson 2013; Fox/Heinemann 2017; Rossi 2018; Deppermann/Haugh in press). This series of talks will bring new insights into what factors contribute to the situated understanding of an action. They will deliver methodological and theoretical insights on action formation and ascription in social interaction in different languages.
The Leibniz-Institute for the German Language (IDS Mannheim) invites you to attend a free international lecture series on Action Formation and Action Ascription. Lectures will be taking place between June 21 and October 11, 2021 via zoom.
You can sign up for participation here: https://perso.ids-mannheim.de/anmeldung/en/329
We are looking forward to welcoming you!
Arnulf Deppermann, Alexandra Gubina & Barbara Fox
- June 21, 6 p.m. CET: Pentti Haddington (Oulu, Finland): Noticing actions in UN military observer training
- July 5, 6 p.m. CET: Tanya Stivers / Giovanni Rossi / Andrew Chalfoun (UCLA, US): Ambiguities in Action Ascription
- July 19, 6 p.m. CET: Alexandra Gubina, Arnulf Deppermann (IDS Mannheim, Germany), Barbara Fox, Chase Wesley Raymond (Colorado, Boulder, US), Sandra Thompson (UCSB, US): “fallin apart that stupid cookie”: Declaratives of trouble as an interactional resource for managing agency and responsibility
- August 16, 6 p.m. CE: Traci Walker / Isabel Windeatt (Sheffield, England): Action ascription in conversations with people with aphasia
- September 13, 3 p.m. CET: Michael Haugh (University of Queensland, Australia): Offer responses and morality-in-interaction
- September 20, 6 p.m. CET: Lorenza Mondada (Basel, Switzerland): Offering a taste at the market: stopping passers-by and transforming them into customers
- September 27, 6 p.m. CET: Jörg Zinken (IDS Mannheim, Germany): Cross-linguistic aspects of action formation
- October 4, 6 p.m. CET: Melisa Stevanovic (Helsinki, Finland) Proposal sequences in the conditions of deontic symmetry and asymmetry
- October 11, 6 p.m. CET: Arnulf Deppermann / Axel Schmidt (IDS Mannheim, Germany) Emergent instructions: Collaborative development of performances in theatre rehearsals by directors and actors