ISF PhD Position 2020
|ISF PhD/MA Position|
|Categoryies (tags)||EMCA, Scholarship, Grammar, Interactional linguistics, Syntax, Hebrew, Cross-linguistic|
|Dates||2020/10/01 - 2024/10/01|
|Geolocation||32° 45' 41", 35° 1' 10"|
|Final version due|
|Tweet||Ph.D./M.A. scholarships for interactional linguistics research project at Haifa University: From Emergent Complex Syntax to Discourse Markerhood: The Hebrew Grammar-Body Interface in a Cross-Language Comparison|
|Export for iCalendar|
ISF PhD/MA Position 2020:
Ph.D./M.A. scholarships in an international research project From Emergent Complex Syntax to Discourse Markerhood: The Hebrew Grammar-Body Interface in a Cross-Language Comparison
An Interactional Linguistics project funded by the Israel Science Foundation focusing on the multimodal study of complex syntactic structures in spoken discourse will begin October 1, 2020, headed by Professor Yael Maschler. This fouryear project will take place at the Department of Hebrew, University of Haifa, Israel, in cooperation with colleagues at the University of Helsinki, Finland, the University of Neuchâtel, Switzerland, and Linköping University, Sweden.
Ph.D. and M.A. scholarships are available for graduate students wishing to participate in all stages of the project:
• Video-recording, transcribing and coding casual face-to-face Hebrew interactions
• Culling, analyzing and classifying specific complex clausal structures and the actions implemented by them in the Haifa Multimodal Corpus of Spoken Hebrew (Maschler et al. 2020)
• Participating in comparative studies with parallel research teams in Europe working on Swedish, French, and Estonian data
The participating student will enroll in the Department of Hebrew Language at the University of Haifa and write a thesis based on part of this research.
• While there is a preference for Ph.D. candidates, M.A. candidates will also be considered
• Academic background in linguistics, preferably in interactional linguistics and/or discourse and grammar •Native or near-native knowledge of Hebrew
Please send the following to maschler((at))research.haifa.ac.il ASAP:
• Letter of interest detailing the candidate’s suitability for the project
• One sample of academic writing (publication / M.A. thesis/seminar paper)
• Names of 2 references
Prof. Maschler's profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Yael_Maschler Haifa website: https://www.haifa.ac.il/index.php/en/ NIf necessary due to Covid-19 irregularities, applications will be received beyond the October 1st deadline, but earlier is better - please get in touch! Note also that dates listed are for the research project's duration, not necessarily for the length of the student's program.