COACT Conference 2019
|Dates||2019/04/24 - 2019/04/26|
|Geolocation||65° 3' 34", 25° 27' 59"|
|Final version due|
|Tweet||cfp COACT 2019 Interaction & discourse in flux: Changing landscapes of everyday life, Univ. of Oulu, Finland, 24-26 April. DL: 19 oct, 18|
|Export for iCalendar|
COACT Conference 2019 Interaction & discourse in flux: Changing landscapes of everyday life:
COACT Conference 2019
Interaction and discourse in flux: Changing landscapes of everyday life
University of Oulu, Finland, 24-26 April, 2019
This conference explores how changes in society emerge in interactions and discourses. How do these changes influence, and how are they influenced by, participants in various contexts of work and everyday life? We warmly welcome contributions that outline future trends and present new perspectives on interaction and discourse studies. Presentations may investigate the complexity of different settings, data, methods and theories.
We invite papers and posters from different viewpoints, such as:
- Methodologies in flux: developing and combining different methods and materials, covering also big data and thick data
- Research approaches in flux: reconsidering theories, societal impact of research, researchers' responsibility in engaging in public discourse
- Technologies in flux: relationships and interactions with, via and within ubiquitous technologies
- Participation in flux: examinations of togetherness, encounters and human sociality in different settings; how access and participation may be redefined, e.g., in working life, education and online environments
The theme can be examined from, but is not restricted to, the following research approaches and strategies: action research, activity theory, content analysis, conversation analysis, cultural-historical activity theory, discourse analysis, ethnography, mediated discourse analysis, multimodal interaction analysis, narrative analysis and nexus analysis.
The invited keynote speakers address the conference theme from their respective viewpoints:
- Jon Hindmarsh, King’s College London
- Rodney Jones, University of Reading Leena Kuure, University of Oulu
- Paul McIlvenny, Aalborg University
The main language of the conference is English, but presentations in other languages are also welcome.
- Submission of abstracts: 19 October 2018
- Notifications of acceptance: 30 November 2018
- Registration will open in January 2019
- Deadline for registration and payment: 28 February 2019
Papers and poster presentations:
The abstracts for both papers and poster presentations are limited to 300 words, including references. The time allotted to section papers will be 20 mins + 10 mins. Posters will be presented during a Poster Walk, which consists of short 5-minute talks followed by commentary and a general discussion.
Please submit your abstract and find more information at the conference website: http://www.oulu.fi/coact/conference2019
The conference fee is 80 €. The fee includes lunches and coffees.
Contact Pentti Haddington (pentti.haddington (at) oulu.fi) Tiina Keisanen (tiina.keisanen (at) oulu.fi)
The conference is organized by the research community COACT - "Complexity of (inter)action: Towards an understanding of skilled multimodal participation", based at the University of Oulu, Finland. Research in COACT focuses on how language and multimodal resources feature in the complexity of social action and interaction, and how social participants skillfully manage and organize their conduct at complex sites of learning, work and everyday life. For more information: http://www.oulu.fi/coact/
Pentti Haddington (conference chair), Tiina Keisanen (conference chair), Marika Helisten, Antti Kamunen, Annamari Martinviita, Maritta Riekki, Pauliina Siitonen, Maarit Siromaa, Robin Sokol, Anna Suorsa, Riikka Tumelius, Anna Vatanen
Conference sponsors: research projects HANS (Human Activity in Natural Settings) and iTask (Linguistic and embodied features of interactional multitasking), funded by the Academy of Finland